The 14th Klaytn Improvement Reserve Result

The Number of Proposals

[ Parallel-structured Blockchain for Scalability and Stability ]

Result: Accepted

• Accepted Budget: USD 307,775
  • Proposal: Parallel-structured Blockchain for Scalability and Stability
  • GC Participation Rate: 38%
    **GC Participation: Wemade, Celltrion, SKnetworks, gumi, AhnLab, The Korea Economic Daily, Maekyung Media Group, NEOPLY, Kracker Labs, cocone, FSN, HanwhaSystems
  • Results: Accepted - 75%, Rejected - 25%, Abstention - 0%

Comments - Accept

• Wemade: Parallel structure is very important to blockchain, in terms of performance and scalability. For a professor in Mathematics and algorithm is participating, we highly look forward to the result. However, given that the participants of the project is fewer than usual, it does seem that the KIR Grant is bit high.
  • Maekyung Media Group: It is expected to have a good effect on the Klaytn Ecosystem.
  • gumi: We believe that improving the scalability and stability of the blockchain is beneficial to the ecosystem. However when examining the Scope, it still appears that the block average is about 150 ~ 200 TX, so we would like to understand the desired specs and its necessity.
    Making the network more distributed and resilient is essential to the decentralization philosophy set forth in Klaytn 2.0, and we look forward to Klaytn’s approach and strategies with regards to solving these issues.
    Based on this research, if we can expect to see improvements in limitations of PBFT, we believe this can be an asset towards the Klaytn ecosystem.
  • SKnetworks: 지금 바로 적용하는 것이 아니라, 병렬 구조에 대한 연구를 진행하는 건이므로 클레이튼 생태계의 안정성과 확장성을 검토한다는 측면에서 긍정적으로 보입니다. 실제로 연구가 잘 되어 유의미한 성과가 나온다면 생태계에 도움이 될 것 같습니다.
  • HanwhaSystems: Continuous research on the scalability and stability of the blockchain will be of great help to the Klaytn.
  • Celltrion: It is understood that research should be done to increase both stability and scalability. Given that the team is capable of conducting the research and the reports will be shared, there is no argument in funding the research.
  • Kracker Labs: This project will be helpful for the Scalability and Stability of Klaytn
  • AhnLab: From GC’s perspective, stable blockchain sounds appealing.
    Following reasearch could be reviewed and carried out in Klaytn Research Center.
  • NEOPLY: I think this is a topic that seems necessary for the scalability and stability of Klaytn in the long run. However, it would be good if results that can be reflected in the actual code are derived, rather than ending with research alone.

Comments - Reject

• cocone: It’s a good suggestion. However, the advantages of a parallel structure are already well known, and it does not seem appropriate to support the proposal of the study rather than specific implementations.
  • FSN: I can not see clear output of this project.
  • The Korea Economic Daily: Interesting research topic. However, I think the amount of proposed KLAY is set too high for the team composition and the research contents. Spending that amount of KLAY on the current offer is likely to be considered inefficient. Therefore, I am opposed to this proposal.

[ Audit Fund Proposal_Quantstamp ]

• Accepted Budget: USD 1,200,000
  • Proposal: Audit Fund Proposal_Quantstamp
    **GC Participation: Wemade, Celltrion, SKnetworks, gumi, AhnLab, The Korea Economic Daily, Maekyung Media Group, NEOPLY, Kracker Labs, cocone, FSN, HanwhaSystems
  • Result: Accepted - 66.7%, Rejected - 16.7%, Abstention - 16.7%

Comments - Accept

• Wemade: We believe the fund would be the stepping stone for DApps that want to onboard onto Klaytn.
  • gumi: In terms of improving and strengthening the security of the Klaytn ecosystem, we believe that the addition of Quantstamp would be beneficial. As we are beginning to see more misbehaved conducts and possible hackers within the blockchain economy, we agree with careful and secure measures in the Klaytn ecosystem. As the need for smart contracts audits increases along with global its presence, the partnership with Quantstamp should allow for a proper audit in a timely manner and maintain the Klaytn ecosystem to be secure.
  • SKnetworks: Quantstamp라는 업체가 기존 여러 블록체인 업체에 대해 감사 작업을 진행하고 있는 것으로 보이고, 클레이튼 생태계가 확장됨에 따라 공정하고 문제 없는 프로젝트의 진행은 필수적이므로 이를 지원할 수 있는 시스템은 좋은 것 같습니다.
  • HanwhaSystems: Smart contracts cannot be modified once deployed. Smart contract audits are necessary because if the smart contract is wrong, it can be misused or cause potential problems.
  • Celltrion: With the increase in demand for smart contract audits, handling the audit process more efficiently in timely manner seems necessary. Given that Quantstamp has a good reputation as an auditor, there is no argument in setting up the audit fund.
  • Kracker Labs: Audit work will be needed irregularly. And this fund will make the process easier.
  • The Korea Economic Daily: I think it’s a good proposal since it can verify security vulnerabilities in the Klaytn network & smart contracts and implement security measures. Even though the price is somewhat high, the billing system seems reasonable in that the service period can be continuously extended until the fund is exhausted. I agree with the proposal.
  • FSN: Klaytn ecosystem needs more diverse choices of qualified auditors.

Comments - Reject

• Maekyung Media Group: The Klaytn Foundation is responsible for managing and supervising their Fund and the audit. AND the proposed fund was set too much. It is expected that audits between projects and councils will be freely conducted voluntarily if social communities and networks or something are formed.
  • cocone: Supporting the audit process is great. However, it might be a little concerning to concentrate on a specific audit company. I’d like to say that using various audit companies like OpenZepplin, Trail of Bits would make a better ecosystem.

Comments - Abstention

• AhnLab: Audit fund would benefit the Klaytn’s ecosystem and security. Quantstamp also has technology and ability. However, making the fund for specific company could increase the dependency risk.
  • NEOPLY: I am in favor of creating an audit fund, but it is not clear on what basis the customer will be audited.
    If anyone can be audited, the audit fund will be exhausted quickly, and it is difficult to understand that if the customer who conducted the audit does not pay the remaining 50% balance, the 50% balance will be paid from the audit fund.
    A clear and transparent basis for the use of audit records should be ensured.

[ Finstreet x MiningDevs ]

• Accepted Budget: USD 45,500
  • Proposal: Finstreet x MiningDevs
  • Result: Accepted - 83.3%, Rejected - 16.7%, Abstention - 0%

Comments - Accept

• cocone: Having a chance to make the Klaytn network bigger is always welcomed. However, the proposal contains insufficient content. That should be considered in the process.
  • Wemade: We believe the project will be of big help for potential developers of Klaytn.
  • Maekyung Media Group: Klaytn mainnet developer training courses were rare than other projects. It is expected to have a positive impact on Klaytn’s global growth if the program goes well. It will also be of great help to governance council CCOs. I hope similar programs will be launched in Korea. And It would be great to increase the budget for this program.
  • gumi: The partnership with Finstreet, in order to expose India’s First Crypto Education platform through Blockchain Education and the emerging market of cryptocurrency, sounds very interesting and educational on an international level. Teaching young developers the basics of
    Klaytn Developer Resources and teaching how to deploy their first smart contracts on Klaytn and educate new-age developers under the guidance of Klaytn Foundation.
    ・We see the advantages in creating brand awareness among the Indian crypto community and educating the youth developers from the early phases.
  • SKnetworks: 인도에서의 클레이튼 생태계 확장을 위해 좋은 작업인 것 같습니다. 실제로 progress report에서 교육 효과가 어느정도인지를 살펴볼 수 있으면 좋을 것 같습니다.
  • HanwhaSystems: The developer education program will motivate and interest developers in blockchain-based development and will have a great impact on the Klaytn ecosystem in the future.
  • Celltrion: It seems necessary to invest in education to foster developers. Since there are many promising developers in India, investing in Indian education sounds reasonable.
  • Kracker Labs: I would help lower the developer’s hurdle.
  • AhnLab: Funding developer video platform would help cultivate developer’s pool which could benefit the Klaytn ecosystem. In the long term this could also benefit the visibility of Klaytn in South Asia.
  • NEOPLY: This is what I felt while hiring developers recently, but I am in favor of expanding the base of blockchain developers.
    If it is possible to educate many Klaytn developers at a small cost, I agree, but I think it is difficult to numerically confirm whether KIR has been conducted in a similar way in the past and the developer base has been expanded accordingly.
    After the KIR process, it would be better if the developers learned through this program were guided or even connect with existing developers so that they could participate in Klaytn Dapp development.

Comments - Reject

• The Korea Economic Daily: I think India is one of the important emerging markets for Klaytn to explore in the future. In that sense, the proposal itself is somewhat good for Klaytn. However, the problem is the quality of their sites. https://miningdevs.com/ and https://www.finstreet.in/ takes too much time to load the site upon first access, and the quality of the lecture videos seems dismal. So I am opposed to this proposal.
  • FSN: It seems that the project is only for the Indian developers. They can already find out many references and tutorials in English.