The 13th Klaytn Improvement Reserve Result

The Number of Proposals

[ Improving the Read Performance of KV database in Klaytn ]

Result: Accepted

• Accepted Budget: USD 297,000
  • Proposal: Improving the Read Performance of KV database in Klaytn
  • GC Participation Rate: 39%
    **GC Participation: gumi, EVERRICH, cocone, NEOPLY, Wemade, Maker, AhnLab, FSN, GroundX, HanwhaSystems, Celltrion, Maekyung Media Group
  • Results: Accepted - 91.7%, Rejected - 8.3%, Abstention - 0%

Comments - Accept

• gumi: We look forward to the new design and implementation of the improved database. Our one concern is the amount of work and possibility of the implementation of the research into the existing blockchain. As the amount of data will increase exponentially in the near future, we hope these changes will improve the analysis of the I/O performances.
  • EVERRICH: Sympathizing with the problem of IO performance degradation, I support this project. Recently, size of blockchain data is increasing abruptly so the problem have to be solved.
  • cocone: 우선 RocksDB 방식의 강점이 있는 만큼, I/O performance에 대한 평가, 분석과 함께 RocksDB 방식이 구체적으로 얼마만큼 성능향상이 있는지를 검토해보고, 실질적인 성능향상이 있을경우 적용여부를 고민해 보았으면 합니다.
  • NEOPLY: It is true that read performance in a blockchain is one of the important performance indicators. But the more important part seems to be write performance.
    In my guess, that the biggest cause of performance bottlenecks is the performance of the block generation process(with execution to transaction) and the performance of the broadcast process for the generated blocks.
    This KIR is only talking about read performance, so I have some doubts about whether it is absolutely necessary. It would have been better if the write performance was improved, but since it is true that read performance also helps to improve performance, there seems to be no reason to object. However, since the topic part is I/O, it would be good to include the writing part as well.
    Rather, if it is a performance improvement for write performance, I would like to strongly favor it.
  • Wemade: We agree to fund the project. We believe the project will help improve Klaytn Mainnet. We are looking forward to Progress Reports
  • Maker: Would been better if they shared how much it will improve performance in % terms.
  • AhnLab: KV DB performance improvement would benefit the Klaytn ecosystem. Implementing the result to cyrrent system would take some time, but analyzing the bottleneck point of the current system would be meaningful.
    The goal of research would benefit Klaytn’s “enterprise-ready level scalability and performance”
  • FSN: I believe “Improving the Read Performance of KV Database in Klaytn” will be very useful for Klaytn ecosystem.
  • HanwhaSystems: It is a necessary project because the exponentially increasing data in the blockchain system and the resulting I/O degradation performance cause serious problems.
  • Celltrion: I believe this is necessary study to maintain and improve network speed. I hope some weak points (detail, scope) mentioned in initial review by Klaytn will be supplemented later. I look forward to the mid-term review of this projects.
  • Maekyung Media Group: Currnently, Klaytn is trying to solve things (frequent transactions and arbitrage) by increasing gas costs. It would be good to compare the effects of data transactions with this solution.

Comments - Reject

• GroundX: Improvement of the read performance of DB in Klaytn seems critical feature at this moment, as Klaytn Blockchain’s usage becomes larger than ever. However, it’s hard to figure proposer’s capability to implement and integrate those features to the chain.

[ Open-Source Decentralized Exchange Project Proposal by SORAMITSU ]

• Accepted Budget: USD 1,056,500
  • Proposal: Open-Source Decentralized Exchange Project Proposal by SORAMITSU
  • Participation Rate: 39%
    **GC Participation: gumi, EVERRICH, cocone, NEOPLY, Wemade, Maker, AhnLab, FSN, GroundX, HanwhaSystems, Celltrion, Maekyung Media Group
  • Result: Accepted - 75%, Rejected - 25%, Abstention - 0%

Comments - Accept

• gumi: We agree that creating an open-source decentralized system similar to uniswap would be beneficial to the ecosystem. We are not completely familiar with Soramitsu but hope that they can be helpful as they have conducted demonstration tests with well-known companies. We would be interested in understanding the similarities with uniswap but as along its open-source with auditing, there should be no issues.
  • EVERRICH: The project seems interesting. Totally, agreeing on the idea that DEX is the infrastructure of blockchain system. Open source would work for prosperity of mainnet eco system.
  • NEOPLY: It can be a very good proposition for teams looking to enter the Defi project.
    However, in the case of a complete open source project, I think that an excessive load on the Klaytn network may occur as many teams configure a similar Defi environment using open code.
  • Wemade: Yes we agree to fund the project. We have been informed Soramitsu has strong technical team, and with the absence of such open-source backbone architecture, the project will help enhance Klaytn Ecosystem.
  • AhnLab: Open source based DEX, would help developers and other projects.
    Providing audited code would benenfit DeFi ecosystem’s security.
  • FSN: Though Klaytn network already have Klaytn-based DEX such as Klayswap and Definix, open source DEX can increase the overall ecosystem.
  • GroundX: Klayswap, which is widely used by Klaytn users since its launch has many of difficulties due to diverse reasons recently. Klaytn blockchain must have an option B DEX to reduce the risk of Klayswap dependency.
  • HanwhaSystems: DEX’s implementation of open source will bring a lot of attention along with providing a transparent and inclusive platform for users, which will serve as an opportunity to further strengthen the Klaytn network.
  • Celltrion: I think it is in line with the direction that klaytn pursues as it is a project that helps to activate DeFi. It is expected that the klaytn defi ecosystem and community will be further activated through this project. In the initial review, the weak point was none, which was very impressive.

Comments - Reject

• cocone: 클레이튼 생태계에 DEX들이 점차 증가하고 있는 추세이기 때문에 진행의 필요성이 크게 느껴지지 않습니다.
  • Maker: Doesn’t make sense to spend $1 million to create Dex when there are many and additional can be easily created.
  • Maekyung Media Group: First, there’s no different from current DEX.
    Second, We are concerned that it looks like Klaytn’s official DEX If they make DEX by supporting from Klaytn.

[ Fantrie_Public EN operation ]

• Accepted Budget: USD 142,665
  • Proposal: Fantrie_Public EN operation
  • Participation Rate: 39%
  • Result: Accepted - 66.7%, Rejected - 33.3%, Abstention - 0%

Comments - Accept

• gumi: Public EN node access to the wider public would be very beneficial to operators and the community, (even better without fees!). This would profit the entire community in terms of reliable resources and case studies for an improved ecosystem. We agree that enhancing the degree of decentralisation and distribution of the ecosystem would benefit the ecosystem.
  • EVERRICH: Very simple purpose project and ENs will help Klaytn Bapps.
  • Wemade: Yes we agree to fund the project. We believe the project will have expand Klaytn Ecosystem. We believe the project will help increase the number of EN.
  • Maker: Seems a bit expensive for simple integration but then if it can help with user experience, might be worth.
  • FSN: I agree that more EN nodes and so enhancing the degree of decentralisation and distribution of our ecosystem.
  • GroundX: Public EN malfunction is well known problem in the Klaytn ecosystem for a long time. To have a better chance to expand the network usage globally, secure reliable End-Point Nodes are mission critical project.
  • HanwhaSystems: We have already seen the impact of NFTs in the blockchain field and need support for related to NFTs.
  • Celltrion: It is judged as a project that contributes to the safety and expansion of the KLAYTN network. The deliverable and the means are very clear and there is no disagreement.
    But It is questionable whether adding just 5 ENs is sufficient.

Comments - Reject

• cocone: 생태계 발전에 도움이 될 수 있는 제안으로 보이지 않습니다.
  • NEOPLY: I understand the intention of the Fantrie Public EN operation KIR, but I think that the NFT Minting part presented as a problem is due to the recent instability of the Klaytn network, and it is not a problem that can be solved by expanding EN nodes.
    Of course, if there is a Public EN, I think most users will be able to use it usefully, but it is questionable whether it is absolutely necessary.
    In particular, it only says that the EN consists of 5 nodes, and there is no explanation on how to configure it in which region. I think it is also important whether it is simply a Public EN configuration for Korean users or an EN configuration for worldwide distribution.
    It would be nice if the proposed team reinforced the content a little more.
  • AhnLab: Project offer detail is not sufficient.
  • Maekyung Media Group: It does not seem fair to support EN costs for specific Dapps. It would be better to operate services like independent operators or Klaytn GC members who are not related to Dapp Operators.